Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I begged his pardon and got me a garden!

THIS YEAR'S GARDEN...

I didn't think I'd get a garden this year.  Last year's garden was pretty much nonexistent due to lifestyle challenges.  I don't know how to till the soil and I do not have a tiller.  I think I'd need a strong man for that!  So, what's a girl to do?  Buy some containers!  

Though my husband promised to do a nice sized traditional garden in my backyard in March, by May, I insisted on a container garden.  We planted a few staples, such as squash, zucchini, cucumbers, bell peppers, and tomatoes along with herbs such as basil, mint, and peppermint.  My oregano plant that I had for about three years now refuses to let me kill it, and so that is also going strong.  I also have a monster rosemary bush in the backyard.  So, I am pretty much presently content.  I would have loved to have an array of hot peppers, snap peas, eggplant, corn, and carrots.  Because I'm not a veteran gardener, I am now taking baby steps.

Well, I'll be updating you all on the progress of my garden, but if you don't have at least a container garden yet, get one. It will save you tons of money on produce in the summertime.  Use organic soil and remember to fertilize, which is an important step (I as a novice gardener did not fertilize).  I used to think only sun and water did the trick, but fertilizer feeds the plants.  Now, I feel as if I have at least developed into a better gardener than I was.  For me, it was trial and error and connecting with very knowledgeable friends and family. 

I decided to do today's post on gardens because if you have ever felt like I used to feel, I wanted to encourage you to "let go" of the fear and jump into gardening, even if your crops fail the first three years.  You'll be sure to learn a thing or two along the way.  Right now, I am happy with the progress of my garden.  Though there's no sign of "fruit" yet, my garden still looks very healthy  almost three weeks after planting.  See for yourself, I've included pictures!  

Container garden planted May 5, 2013 has blossomed.
Trying out a container tomato garden too. Perhaps the abundant rainy days has helped them grow! 

You folks who live in apartments, I've seen some beautiful apartment container gardens.  Even if you live in a home with limited backyard space, there may be free or rental community sites where you can plant a garden.  My parents utilized a community plot when we used to live in the city years ago.

If you are new to gardening, please google tips and tricks to gardening or container gardening.  Any time you put in to developing your gardening skills will pay off abundantly, I know it did for me!

What are you planting in your garden this year!  Please share!


1 comment:

  1. This looks great! Can't wait to reap the harvest!

    ReplyDelete