Friday, May 31, 2013

Let go (of dairy parm) for this vegan pesto!

VEGAN PESTO...

Well, I love pesto.  It originated in Italy and traditionally it is not a vegan sauce because it is made with Parmesan cheese.  The other traditionally prominent ingredient is basil.  In truth, I love basil; I actually eat the raw leaves.  In the past, I have made pesto with cilantro, kale, spinach, and other green leafy plants.  Hands down, I love my basil the best!

For years, I had been making pesto with vegan Parmesan, but I am a bit over paying the $4.99 price for this processed product.  I began to look for a vegan pesto recipe that is just as good or better and I've found it.  Now, I love to share what I love with others.  So, if you've been looking for a great vegan substitute for dairy pesto sauce, look no further!

Before I get to the recipe, I want to tell you a bit about basil.  Basil is anti-inflammatory and low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium.  Basil has vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E. and Vitamin K) and minerals (Calcium, Copper,  Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, and Zinc).  It is also a source of protein and fiber.  Besides being known to have a wonderful unique aroma, basil is also known to have compounds that fight and prevent diseases.  Please google this herb for more information.
First harvest of my basil plant!  I'm developing
quite the green thumb! Yay!!!
-
Like basil, pine nuts are also rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.  Pine nuts contain an enzyme called superoxide demutase, which help the body resist infections and fight free radicals.  Pine nuts are harvested from pine trees and are super-expensive.  Generally, an eight-ounce bag can cost about $16.00; and consequently, it's cheaper to buy pine nuts in bulk.  Raw pine nuts, or nuts of any kind, are better for you than boiled, fried, or roasted nuts because heating any nut lessens its chemical composition and destroys the protective nutrients. Google this information to learn more.

I secured the original recipe from Allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/yummy-vegan-pesto-classico/).  It's vegan and if you want to stick with that recipe, then go ahead.  However, I like to change things up a bit when I cook and so I'm posting my version, which is a bit different and I hope you like it as well.

VEGAN PESTO (My way)

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts, raw
  • 1/4 cup cashews (or almonds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts)
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • 2 bunch fresh basil leaves
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 -3/4 teaspoon liquid aminos, depending upon taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Monk's pepper

Instructions:
  1. Pulse the pine nuts and cashews until crumbly in a food processor.
  2. Add nutritional yeast and pulse.  
  3. Add minced garlic and basil, then pulse until combined.
  4. Add lemon juice, liquid aminos, and olive oil and process until smooth. 
  5. Add salt and pepper and pulse until combined.
Vegan pesto ready for today's pasta!

###

This pesto is very creamy.  Today I'm using it to season a pasta dish, but it makes a good dip or spread for sandwiches.  

If you love this version of vegan pesto, let me know.  I always appreciate hearing from you!  I also thank you for your comments thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment