Thursday, May 9, 2013

Hummus... It's a great snack or a meal!

HUMMUS...

It's that time of year that Mediterranean foods are more appealing to me.  Actually, these foods call me by name. LOL  I especially love hummus.  Hummus is made from beans, usually garbanzo beans (chickpeas).  As a child, my mom would make this and we called it "Garbanzo Bean Spread."  I had no idea what hummus was in college until I saw it and tasted it.  I remember saying, "Oh! Garbanzo Bean Spread!"  From that time to now, I've called it by its proper name.  

Hummus is quite simple to make, but it taste so good.  I eat hummus a number of ways.  For instance, I eat hummus with pita bread (usually with toasted pita bread chips I make myself), but I also use it as a spread on my veggie sandwiches as a healthy alternative to condiments.  I eat it as a dip for my veggies.  However, I love salads and I usually thin my hummus out a bit with lemon juice and eat it on top of salads.  Hummus has a good bit of protein  and fiber and because of this, it is a very filling food.  It could quite easily be a snack or a meal unto itself!

So, without further ado, I hope you enjoy the below recipe as much as I do.

HUMMUS
Ingredients: 
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups or 16 ozs of garbanzo beans (cooked and drained)
Juice one lemon
2  tablespoons tahini
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water (optional, depending upon desired texture)

PREPARE, and then

About 1 teaspoon cumin (I just sprinkle)
About 1 tablespoons olive oil
About 2-3 whole Green olives, diced or whole

Instructions
  1. In a food processor, coarsely chop cloves of garlic. Pour in garbanzo beans. Add lemon juice, tahini, and salt. Process until combined.  Add about 1/4 cup of water for a creamier texture.
  2. Serve in small dipping bowls.  Pour olive oil over the top and sprinkle of cumin.  Garnish with diced or whole green or kalamata olives for a bit of added flavor.  Enjoy!
Note: You may also be able to blend these ingredients, though depending upon your blender, this may be a bit difficult. I've always found the food processor easier.

Hummus with celery, carrots, and cucumber sticks.  Yum!

###

Comment if you love hummus or if you add extra ingredients to your hummus to make it even more flavorful.  


No comments:

Post a Comment