Monday, May 13, 2013

Avocado dressing is truly a blessing...

AVOCADO DRESSING ...

Okay... As a vegetarian, I must admit that I am not adverse to all dairy.  Plain organic Greek yogurt is the exception for me. In my vegetarian state, I would utilize yogurt, keifer, and eggs.   Greek yogurt was usually utilized in my avocado dressing to substitute the mayo (or sour cream) in this recipe. However, in my transitioning state back to my vegan roots, I have decided to use coconut cream as a substitute in some recipes in place of the Greek yogurt.  Consequently, all vegans can enjoy the traditional taste with a creamy-smooth texture of avocado dressing sans the dairy-based Greek yogurt.  Hooray for vegans everywhere!!! (If you can't tell, I really love this dressing!).

Before recently, I often bought cans of organic coconut milk because it's very hard to find coconut milk (full fat) in other forms. Ordinarily, I do not like to use canned foods, but here again I made an exception.  I had to have my full-fat 100% coconut milk!  I am happy to inform you that I have found a site that sells BPA-free coconut milk and now I purchase this brand.  This is not organic coconut milk, but the site explains that it doesn't have to be because the coconut is a hard-shell crop.  I've provided the link below so that you can read it for yourself if you choose too.  If organic is important to you, you may indeed find it hard to locate a BPA-free version of full-fat 100% coconut milk.

Coconut milk (BPA free):
http://importfood.com/naturalcoconutmilk.html

So, then the question becomes, "Why do you need the full-fat 100% coconut milk instead of the other kind that you can buy in glass bottles with added natural ingredients?"  There's a simple answer to this question.  If  there's no fat, it will be hard to make cream (Admittedly, there are some reduced fat versions, but I don't like it when my coconut milk is tampered with.  I want the whole food version).  I get the cream by putting the can (now the BPA-free box) in the refrigerator overnight. This allows the fat or cream to separate from the liquid.  Once this is done, you have coconut cream on top and the liquid on the bottom.

This next step is important.  Once the separation occurs, it's important to drain out the milk completely (and really, I've never found that the bottom layer ever really looks like it has no liquid on it; so I discard a thin layer at the bottom of the cream).  Poke two small holes, one on each side, of the can or box to let the liquid drain.  Never turn the can or box upside down or on its side.  It's important that no liquid makes contact with the cream.  Open the can or box on top and pull or scoop out the cream, being very careful not to let any of the cream you're going to use touch the liquid. Scrap off (I cut it off like I would slice a thick slice of cheese) the bottom layer that has the milk liquid on it.  Normal cream yield from a 16 oz can is about 1 cup, while the normal yield from an 8 oz box is about 1/4 cup.

Freshly "harvested" coconut cream
Okay, if you're frugal, you can keep the milk that you drained and the thin layer that you cut off (or left at the bottom of the cream) for other dishes. You don't have to trash it.  "Waste not, want not."  However, if the cream has no liquid touching it, TO ME (meaning my taste buds) it tastes VERY SIMILAR to pure heavy dairy cream once it's whipped (In truth, I've only ever tasted heavy dairy cream in its whipped state).  Nonetheless, it should have only a hint of a coconut flavor.  However, if you even have a drop of the separated coconut liquid touch that cream, you will have a stronger coconut taste.  Through trial and error, I know what I'm talking about, people.  Now, if you simply like the taste of coconut, then this may not be problem, but your dishes may all have a stronger coconut flavor than you would really want.

I hope I have not scared you away from doing this because I think it's worth it.  You can use the coconut cream in many dishes.  Today, we're using it in the avocado recipe below.  To me, if the ingredients are well blended, you should not be able to taste a difference in the dairy version vs. the coconut version.

AVOCADO DRESSING
Ingredients:

  • 1 large avocado
  • 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup coconut cream
  • 2 tablespoons water (cold)
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt (or less, but no more than this)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced

Instructions:

  1. Combine all ingredients in blender (I use the small nutri-bullet) or food processor.  
  2. Process until smooth and creamy (well combined). 
  3. Use immediately or jar and place in the refrigerator.  

Jarred avocado dressing with the 100% BPA-free coconut milk product.
###

This recipe is AWESOME on tacos!!! I also use it as a dip.  It's great on sandwiches as well. I use this pretty often.  It is a staple.

If you enjoyed this recipe or have something to add about making coconut cream, feel free to post.  If you have any questions concerning this blog, I'll try to answer them as best I can.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment