Wednesday, May 15, 2013

This cantaloupe smoothie is mint-tally delicious!!!


CANTALOUPE SMOOTHIE...

Believe it or not, growing up I liked all melons, but the cantaloupe was my least favorite. I'd rather have a honeydew melon or a watermelon any day of the week, but I only had cantaloupe when there was nothing else to eat.  Well, not.any.more!!!  Now-a-days, it has even surpassed my love of watermelon.  I hear the "Whys" out there and I'll provide the answer.  The answer is simple.  I.LOVE.this.recipe!!!

I first made this smoothie in the late spring of 2011.  I've been hooked ever since.  I can't get through a summer without it.  Now, summer does not taste like summer without it.  I'm sure some of you know what I mean.  There's a fruit usually that is the epitome of summer for some of you.  This is MY summer fruit.  Don't get me wrong, strawberries, blueberries, mangoes  etc. are all part of my summer food (and smoothie) repertoire  but my go-to smoothie is this minty cantaloupe drink.  In fact, I've purchase a mint plant (because my green thumb has been a bit brown with my mint) every summer just so I don't have to buy the $1.99 mint leaves from Whole Foods.  

Mint is basically simply refreshing.  I love mint tea, I love mint in candy, and I love mint in salads.  It is full of vitamins (A and C), minerals (copper, iron magnesium, potassium, and calcium).  It is good for both cardiovascular and intestinal health.  Google its tremendous health properties for yourself!

Also, a bit about cantaloupe.  Not only is it nutritious, it's low in calories.  It is abundant in antioxidant flavonoids (beta-carotene, lutein, zea-xanthin and cryptoxanthin), vitamins (A, B-complex, C, K), and minerals (manganese).  It also helps keep the body from macular degeneration which is brought on as we age because it has a dietary carotenoid, zea-xanthin. Google it for yourself!  Cantaloupe does a body good!

Now, let's get this recipe!

CANTALOUPE SMOOTHIE
Serving size: 16-20 ozs.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup ripened cantaloupe, frozen (more if desired)
  • 1 cup almond vanilla milk (Silk or homemade)
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey (or raw light agave nectar)
  • 7 big fresh mint leaves (or 14 small leaves or more) 
Instructions:
  1. Slice the cantaloupe away from the rind and into small cubes, resembling small ice cubes.  Measure 1 cup and place in individual freezer storage bag/containers (for use as needed).  This usually gives you about 2 1/2 cups of cantaloupe cubes depending on the size of the cantaloupe.
  2. Freeze (I usually do this once my cantaloupe is ripe (I love to have some handy at all times).  
  3. Once frozen, thaw one of the cups of frozen cantaloupe for about 5 to 10 minutes.  Place into blender. (This step is not needed if you have a blender that cuts through ice.)
  4. Add milk, honey, and mint leaves.
  5. Blend until smooth and frothy.  

My cantaloupe smoothie in all of its refreshing deliciousness!!!

Note: All of the above ingredients can be adjusted to taste.  

###

ENJOY my taste of summer!!!! This smoothie is absolutely refreshing especially on a hot day.

I also love watermelon smoothies, but I have not bought my first watermelon yet.  I'll post that recipe when I make the first one of the summer.  Yep, these smoothies are by far the best part of hot weather!

If you have a summer smoothie recipe you like, feel free to share.  If you enjoy this smoothie as much as I do, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment