Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Vegan Fried Rice ... The "eggs" will make you look twice!


FRIED RICE...

If I'm doing Chinese food, I really love the fried rice.  It's vegetarian, not vegan, because it is made with scrambled eggs. It is usually not all that healthy because it has white rice, which has a high glycemic index.  Well, recently I saw a fried rice recipe on Facebook and I decided to veganize it.  I decided I'll make it with some of my leftover brown rice.  My vegan version is not only made with brown rice, but also substitutes the scrambled eggs with scrambled tofu.

Now, many people are pretty confused when it comes to tofu.  It's a white chunk of tastelessness to them.  They don't realize that you have to season it just like you would anything else.  Not only that, tofu can have various textures.  I hope to demonstrate the various textures in future recipes I post.  You can press it to be more condensed.  You can freeze it for a spongy texture.  You can also use it as is, straight out of the container tub for a softer texture.  It is this texture we want in our scrambled tofu "eggs."

Many people make their tofu scramble various ways.  I found out a few years ago that Black salt adds a nice eggy taste to my tofu-salad sandwiches and so I came up with a way to make my tofu scramble very simply.  In truth, I think it tastes like the chicken version, but that's MY taste buds.  I even go so far to make it look like the real thing.

For those of you who care, here's what I do.  I buy EXTRA FIRM tofu.  I'm careful to press the water out between two flat plates, but you can use any method that suits you.  Once I get most of the water pressed out of it, I use a sharp knife to cut along the tofu "skin," which is pretty condensed anyways.  I do that for each side.  Usually, the middle is still a bit wet; so I just use the outside layer of the tofu.  Once done, I take a fork and scramble it in a bowl... Okay, let me just give you the recipe!  So, without further ado, let me give you the simple recipe for my scrambled tofu (Now, that rhymes)!

SCRAMBLED TOFU

Ingredients:
  • 1 block of extra firm tofu (14-ounce package, though I just use the sides, but you can use it all)
  • 1/2-1 teaspoons Black salt (dependent upon taste and amount)
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutritional yeast (or 1 teaspoon if using  the whole block)
  • heaping 1/8 teaspoon tumeric  (This colors the tofu and a little goes a long way)
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • freshly ground Monk's pepper, to taste 

Instructions:
  1. Press tofu to remove the excess water.
  2. Place in a bowl and combine all of the ingredients, except the pepper, while scrambling with a fork. 
  3. Heat up some canola oil in the nonstick skillet and cook until it reaches the desired egg-like consistency. Be sure to taste to if if more black salt is needed.

My scrambled tofu looks and tastes like "eggs."

###
VEGAN FRIED RICE

Ingredients: 
  • 3 cups cooked brown rice (day old or leftover rice works best!)
  • 3 tbs sesame oil 
  • 1 cup frozen peas and carrots (thawed)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup scrambled tofu
  • 2 tablespoons to 1/8 cup amino acid (or more depending upon taste)
  • Add fresh broccoli florets ...or snow peas and other stir-fry veggies (optional)
Instructions:
  1. On medium high heat, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the peas/carrots mix, onion and garlic. Stir fry until tender. Lower the heat to medium low. 
  2. Add the scrambled tofu.
  3. Now add the rice and amino acid and blend all together well. 
  4. Stir fry until thoroughly heated!

Vegan Fried Rice with Tofu Scramble

###

Enjoy!  If you liked the veganized version of this recipe, let me know. I thought it was delicious!  This was a veganized success.




No comments:

Post a Comment