Thursday, May 16, 2013

Gummy Bears...another vegan candy experiment!

GUMMY BEARS...

I love gummy bears!  I first had them when I went to college because we hardly ate candy in my mother's house.  I remember I would buy a pack to make it through English class as an undergraduate.  I also remember the day I actually read the ingredients and was horrified to find it had gelatin in it.  Gelatin is usually made by boiling the bones, cartilage, and skins of animals or fish.  This definitely is not a vegetarian or vegan product.

Forever, I knew that we couldn't have jello because I was around five or six when my parents found out about gelatin and my mom stopped making her lemon pie because its main ingredient was gelatin.  I was disappointed because I really loved that pie.  Now, it's very clear that many professing vegetarians and vegans, even some of you now reading this blog, are surprised that gelatin is in the animal family because it is in tons of products.  Yogurts, cakes, pies, salads, and many other products contain gelatin.  Kosher gelatin is made from fish while all others are made from cows or pigs.

So, what's the alternative?  Agar and pectin are popular vegan/vegetarian substitutes, however, they sometime need more experimentation before you get an old gelatin recipe just right.  There are agar flakes and agar powder.  I usually use the powder because I find it to be cheaper than the flakes.  I buy it for .99¢ from the local Asian market.  Vegans use agar to solidify bean or nut cheeses, candies, jello, vegan eggs, etc.  Pectin is often used for jams and other things that agar can be used to make.  However, it can also be used to make these candies because I see pectin in the ingredients of vegan jelly beans and gummy bears at Whole Foods.  However, I haven't found a recipe with pectin yet.

Now a word of caution..  If you ask anyone who works with agar or pectin, you'll find that it takes a bit of working with before things turn out "just right."  You can't under-do it or over-do it with agar or you risk things being too soft or hard.  Therefore, if you find a recipe that calls for these agar, be especially careful to stick with the prescribed amount and type of agar for the recipe. If you don't, things may not turn out so well.

Well, with that said, let's get to the gummy bears.  There are a few recipes online, but I decided to try the second recipe below using only frozen fruit juice concentrate to make my gummy bears. Keep reading...

GUMMY BEARS
Original online recipes:

  1. http://www.thenakedkitchen.com/all-fruit-gummy-bears/
  2. http://ladymake.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-make-VEGAN-Gummi-Worms
  3. http://www.ehow.com/how_6947506_make-gummy-bear-steps.html

Gummy Bears in the candy mold.

For this experiment, I used:
4 tablespoons Agar Agar powder (not flakes)
2 cups fruit juice (your favorite flavor!)
1 sauce pan
1 candy mold 
1/4 cup corn starch (or close)
1 pinch of salt (really just a few flicks!)
Closer peak at them in the tray.

As you can tell, I cut the recipe in half because this was only an experiment.  UPDATE from my initial post... Though my first batch was not completely gummy, while waiting for them to solidify, I kept the mixture on the stove stirring from time to time.  The mixture reduced and the gummy texture appeared.  I'll continue to work on this recipe.  Turns out that you MUST keep them in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.  The cornstarch did help.  I didn't use it on the following batches and they were more of a bear to get out than the first batch.  I will look for something different to help slide these candies out of the mold next time.  
I did not add any extra sweetener other than the juice and they didn't seem sweet to me, but they were a bit understated.  I brushed some ascorbic acid on a few.  They do taste sour.  


Finally got a bear out of the tray.  I'm happy, but it has to easier to
get them out of the tray!

All-in-all, I am truly happy with my effort today.

13 comments:

  1. More of a "bear" to get out. No pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeedy, JB! Must find a more flexible mold if I want to continue my candy-making efforts. Otherwise, I don't have time for that! :)

      Delete
    2. that would be an example of 'pun intended'

      Delete
  2. Hats off for your effort :) and it looks so nice :) I tried making gummies last time, but it dint turn out to be good. And finally i bought Candy gummies online. It was my first effort :) Anyways i will keep trying :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna, thank you so much!!! Though I count myself still in experimental mode, quite by accident did I get the texture I wanted (not stretchy like nonvegan gummies, but gummy). After of few hours of keeping everything at liquid temperature while I put the gummy molds in the freezer for 30 minutes at a time, I gave up! I thought to myself, "This is not working!!!!" I didn't want to throw out the rest of my liquid so I put it on a pot holder inside the refrigerator. I left it there for about three days before I decided I needed my sauce pan again and I would finally throw it away. The thing was so solid, I lifted up and put it on my cutting board. Then I sliced it into the thickness of gummy worms and believe it or not, it was a great texture. I'll definitely experiment again and I'll post the updates.

      Delete
  3. where did you buy the mold tray from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from Amazon, but I'd admit that the candies were quite small. The actual tray I used is found at:
      http://www.amazon.com/CK-Products-Bears-Butterflies-Chocolate/dp/B003NCVKR4/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384312876&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=Gummy+bears+mold+trays

      Should you need a bigger tray, look for one. I didn't do the exact "Gummy Bear" match. I've been looking for a tray that produces a bit bigger bears, but I haven't found one yet. When I do, I'll post it...promise!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your experiment-- I'm going to try this recipe and pass it on to my granddaughters! I'm going to try tapioca vs. corn starch since tapioca is used in daiya cheese and other vegan cheese recipes because it is rubbery-er than other starches.. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Cynthia! I have updated the recipe on my new blog, but I am still in experimental mode. I think I'm getting there though. Tapioca is definitely one of the new ingredients. See this site for the updated recipe: http://simplepreparations.com/2016/10/21/gummy-bears/

      Delete
    2. It's been 4 years after the last post here, but I was looking for the recipe using Tapioca starch. The link no longer works. Is there a new link? Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Are gummy vitamins just as effective as pill vitamins?
    Candy Crush Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silicone molds work best but spray your plastic trays with coconut oil they will pop right out

    ReplyDelete