Thursday, June 20, 2013

Have a go at vegan pimento...cheese that is!

PIMENTO CHEESE...

Well, with pimento cheese, you either love it or you hate it.  I ate it all my life made in the vegan way.  It's one of those things that I only want now and then.  I find that it is good for finger sandwiches when having intimate socials.  Actually, at a small social after work, I remember having my first taste of non-vegan pimento cheese.  "Whoa!" I thought.  I remember discreetly spitting it out into my paper napkin and discarding the package. It may have been the catering company's fault (I don't know), but in truth, I never wanted a non-vegan pimento sandwich again.  I like the vegan version much better.  Not that the taste is all that different, but something was amiss..yes, a "miss." Perhaps if done properly, I'm sure, some of you pimento cheese zealots will highly disagree with me.  For me, the vegan version wins this taste test hands down!

So, if you don't know what pimentos are, I should tell you.  Pimentos are small sweet red peppers usually soaked in brine.  I only buy the ones in glass jars and they're fairly inexpensive.  You may usually find these stuffed into green olives ("Oh! That's what they are!").  They have very little nutritional value about 1% of DV of Vitamin C and 2 mg of potassium.  They are often more full of sodium than anything else.  However, folks who love pimentos, love pimentos.

Now, vegan pimento cheese mainly consist of cashews, tahini, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice. However, I always add my extra with throwing in some extra-firm tofu.  You may find the basic vegan pimento recipe anywhere on the Internet, under "Cashew Pimento Cheese" or "Cashew Pimento Cheese Sauce."  Lately, folks are making it with the addition of veganaise and Daiya cheese or some other processed vegan cheese, which are fine as well.  You can also find these recipes online.  However, I am more inclined to stick with the recipe my mom used since I was a child.  Without further ado, here's the recipe...

VEGAN PIMENTO CHEESE

Ingredients:
3/4 cup cashews, rinsed (with 1/4 cup divided out)
1/2 cup pimento peppers (with 1/8 cup divided out)
1/2 cup extra-firm tofu
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon tahini
1 heaping teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup water
Processed cashews, pimento, and tofu.
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Instructions:
In a food processor, pulse 1/4 cup of cashews until crumbly.  Add 1/8 cup of pimentos, and pulse once.  Lastly, add extra-firm tofu and pulse twice.  This should resemble pimento cheese without the color.

Next, in a blender, combine all of the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.  Pour into a small pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring regularly, until thick (this should be no more than 3-5 minutes) and it will thicken quickly.  Once to desired thickness, let cool and combine with the food processor ingredients.  You may refrigerate before making sandwiches or if you like it at room temperature, make sandwiches. 
Vegan pimento cheese sandwich for lunch!

###

It really hits the spot every now and then.  I don't make it often, but when I do make it, I love it!  Let me know how you like it.  Your feedback is always welcomed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment