Thursday, June 13, 2013

Vegan An'geled' eggs that will make you beg!

VEGAN EGGS...

Yep, the eggs pictured in this blog are vegan, and, believe it or not, they taste very much like eggs. So, yes, now you can have your vegan and eat hard-boiled eggs too!  It's truly amazing!!!  I bet you can't wait to try this recipe for yourself, especially if eggs are something that you miss about being vegan.  Now, no more sacrificing the taste for health!  These are not full of harmful ingredients.

Okay, in all truthfulness, this is my first success with making vegan eggs. As my mother always said, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again."  Last Friday, I found two separate recipes, one using almond milk and the other using soymilk, both equally disgusting to me.  The egg whites made me gag. I could not imagine that the bean or tofu yolks would be much better.  I did try the bean yolks and though they weren't too disgusting, the recipe had so much salt in it, I ended up throwing it all away.  

Over the weekend, I discussed my failures with my sister, who insisted that I use plain coconut milk,  because it's nearly flavorless.  I quickly returned home to search for a coconut milk egg white recipe.  Though the egg white recipe was the same for all of them, I must say that the coconut milk made the difference. Also, I decided to try the mash potato yolks, which was awesome as well.  

Coconut milk egg whites poured into
mold and place in the refrigerator.
Once set, these resemble eggs.











In other blogs, I related the nutritional benefits of agar powder, a seaweed derivative, and the benefits of coconut; so in this blog I decided to relate the nutritional benefits of potatoes.  I used red potatoes for this recipe because they are so soft and easy to work with.  Red potatoes are a high energy food, packed with calories and carbohydrates, however they are a mild glycemic food.  This is probably why the military uses potatoes so much.  Especially with their skins attached, they have an array of vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K) and minerals (calcium, copper, iron, manganese, magnesium, potassium, selenium, sodium, and zinc).  Red potatoes are free of fat, cholesterol, and extremely low in sodium and low in natural sugar. One medium red potato also contains about 4 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber.  Google the nutritional benefits of red potatoes for yourself!

So, I embarked again making my substitutions and additions to the recipe I found (see original recipe below).  I believe it's a winner.  I hope you love it too!  For me, there's nothing evil about these eggs.  These eggs are all good! Without further ado, the recipe is next!


VEGAN AN'GELED' EGGS (Because there's nothing deviled about these eggs!)
Whites: 
  • 1 cup unsweetened plain So Delicious Coconut Milk
  • 1 tsp agar powder
  • 1/8 tsp black salt


Yolks:
  • 1 medium red potato, skinned, cooked, and mashed
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened plain coconut milk
  • 1 Tbs prepared mustard
  • 1 tsp vegan mayo, such as grapeseed veganaise
  • 1/8 tsp tumeric powder
  • 3/4 tsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tsp celery seed
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp black salt
  • 1 Tbs dill relish
  • Paprika to garnish

Instructions:
In a small pot, bring ingredients for egg whites to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently. During this process, you will create a bunch of bubbles while whisking, but don't pay any attention to that as you can use a large knife against the pot to pour the egg white mixture into the molds, thus reducing the bubbles in the mold. Once the mixture it at a boil, remove from heat and pour egg molds. Refrigerate until set, between 20 and 30 minutes.

Next, peel and dice one medium red potato and boil for about 20 minutes or until tender enough to mash.  Remove any excess water and mix in the coconut milk and tumeric and cook for an additional 2 minutes, so that the tumeric can release its color.  Then add the rest of the yolk ingredients and be sure to remove any clumps so that the resulting mixture has a smooth consistency.  Once done, set aside.
Scooped out the middle with a small spoon to fill with
yoke mixture.
Once eggs whites are set, use a small spoon to carefully scrape out half sphere holes near the middle of each.  Using a cake piper or a plastic bag, pipe the yolk mixture onto eggs and garnish with paprika.  Serve or refrigerate up to 3 days.
The end product was truly pleasing to my
taste buds.  Try it for yourself!

###

I am so happy to have had success with this recipe!!! I will be using it again.  There are so many things I will make now that I have this recipe as a base.  My creative mind is a'buzzin'!

If you make this recipe, I would love to hear from you, especially if you love it as much as I do! I'd also appreciate any of your additions to the egg yolk mixture as we all put our own touch on our dishes.  Enjoy!!!
-

2 comments: