Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Vegan parmesan using brazil nuts!

VEGAN PARM...

Well, there are so many versions of vegan parmesan to try out, but for years, I've always thought that brazil nuts reminded me parmesan.  In truth, I hated brazil nuts and parmesan cheese for years until my taste buds matured in recent years.  That's when I found lots of ways to use dairy parmesan in pesto, in salad dressings, and, of course, as a topping.

Now, for those of you who don't know, brazil nuts are full of nutrition. Brazil nuts contain vitamins (Vitamin B-Complex, Vitamin E), minerals (copper, magnesium, manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, selenium, and zinc), and antioxidants. Though these nuts have a high caloric value, they are a great source of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs), the same as those found in most Mediterranean diets.  Therefore, brazil nuts help lower the bad cholesterol to prevent coronary artery disease and strokes by improving the healthy blood lipid profile.  This nut is also known as a non-gluten food, as is almonds and pine nuts.  Google the nutritional benefits of brazil nuts for yourself!

Though I thought that brazil nuts mimicked the taste of parmesan, it took years before I realized that raw vegans often use this as a parmesan substitute.  Though I tweak every recipe I find, I recently found a recipe online that required baking the nuts.  I do not recommend roasting nuts over 110 degrees due to the breakdown of the oils.  I'd rather have the raw nut instead of the roasted one.  I know that I may be in the minority here.  Anyhoo, the original recipe I tweaked came from Dreena Burton's blog: http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/2-vegan-parmesan-substitutes-brazil-nut-parmezan-and-cheesy-sprinkle/


Up-close look at vegan parm right after combining ingredients.


BRAZIL NUT PARM (My version)
Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups raw brazil nuts
  • ½ tsp (little scant) sea salt
  • 1 ½ tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp fresh organic lemon zest

Instructions:
Pulse the brazil nuts in a food processor or blender until crumbly. Do NOT over pulse or over blend, or you will end up with paste due to the oil in the brazil nut. Pour into dish and toss in the salt, nutritional yeast, and lemon zest. Use your fingers to work these ingredients through the crumbled nuts.  Once done, transfer to a container to refrigerate. 


Basil tomato pasta topped with vegan parm.  Yum!
###
If you love this vegan parmesan topping, let me know. 

3 comments:

  1. I should have tried this just to see how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, you did. It was in the salad dressing. Because you seemed to love the salad dressing, this comment is just another compliment from you. Thank you, JB!

      Delete
  2. good relevant information about nutrition vlaue of pine nuts .what are the benefits of pine nuts for more information click here.. Nutritional Value Of Pine Nuts

    ReplyDelete