Friday, July 5, 2013

Vegan Olive Gardenish salad dressing. Yay!

OLIVE GARDEN DRESSING...

Okay, ask anyone who knew me in college and, hands down, my favorite restaurant was the Olive Garden. Back then the eggplant parm and the manicotti with all of the salad I could eat were my absolute favs.  Back then (and I'm not going to tell just how far "back then" was or I would commit the abominable for women, especially women my age) the Olive Garden was very expensive.  Sometimes I would only have the salad ($4.00) and bread sticks.  I would still be absolutely happy with just that selection.

However, anyone who truly knows me knows that I love to make anything that I love in restaurants at home.  In truth, I hate to eat out because of shows like "Mystery Diners" or "Restaurant Stakeout."  Additionally, you really never know what truly goes into your food (you may think it's vegan, but it's really bugs, oysters, or has chicken stock in it).  I truly enjoy knowing what's in my food.  Therefore, it's only natural to try to replicate things.

For the main salad, you want iceberg lettuce as the main base, but I also cut up about a head of romaine because I think it's more nutritious than just iceberg.  Next, cut up a tomato or a half cup to a cup of grape tomatoes, olives, and a half of a small onion (thin slices).  You may optionally throw in a few jalepeno peppers.  Lastly, some Italian seasoned croutons will nicely round out this salad.  Wait!  You're not done yet, because now you must add the dressing (to taste) to the bowl.

OLIVE GARDENISH DRESSING (Vegan style)

In a separate container make base dry mix or use Good Seasonings Italian Dressing packet:
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon Monk's pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon basil
1 tablespoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
2 tablespoons salt

Dressing Mixture:
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons dry mix
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon Monk's pepper
½ tablespoon vegan mayo
1 ½ tablespoons water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
¼ cup cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil

Instructions:
  1. Pour Good Seasonings Italian packet into a jar and go to step #2 or in mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for dry mix.  Then store in an airtight container.  Use only 2 tablespoons for this recipe. (I always make my own dry mix because I am not fond of all of the stuff in the Good Seasonings packet, but if you don't mind, then you can use that.)
  2. Next, combine dressing mixture in a jar.  Cover and shake vigorously. 
  3. Pour on top of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, olives, and croutons and enjoy!


Yesterday and today, I had a hearty salad with the Olive
Gardenish dressing.  Yum!!!
Note:  You may add all of this to a mason jar and shake vigorously.

###

I hope you like this recipe.  If you don't think it is an exact match, then I hope you think it's pretty close. Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment